If this happens, simply return it to any Bath & Body Works Store for a replacement. But as I will explain in more detail throughout this article, there are too many harmful chemicals in them to risk continuing to use them around pets.
One of the primary concerns health experts have about plug -in air fresheners is their wide-spread use of phthalates. The NRC also warns that airborne phthalates can cause allergic symptoms and asthma.
For this reason, we have delineated here the top 6 wallflower scents available in the market today: Bath & Body Works Fresh Linen Wallflowers Home Fragrance Refills.
Removing the grounding plug from a cord, so it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also cause a fire. Swallowing the gel-type evaporative beads or reed diffuser solutions can cause serious effects in children.
There are concerns about adverse effects on the environment and health with repeated exposures to air fresheners. Ethyl/isopropyl alcohol can be extremely dangerous if absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or ingested.
Fill any room in your home with your favorite Glade fragrances by simply inserting the warmer into an outlet for a long-lasting scent that's adjustable. I bought some of those Wallflower air fresheners from Bath and Body Works over the weekend.
We usually don't buy plug in air fresheners because of hearing about the fire hazards associated with the Glade ones. I googled Wallflowers fire hazard” this morning just to see if anything came up, and found comments from people that say their house caught on fire from these things.
I have Wallflowers, Glade and Febrile things plugged into various rooms. I can 't imagine going around unplugging each and rep lugging every day.
I looked at that this morning and saw the sentence about the wallflowers and thought “hmm...” It never occurred to me that this might be a problem. I have Wallflowers, Glade and Febrile things plugged into various rooms.
I can 't imagine going around unplugging each and rep lugging every day. I've had other brands that were warm, but my wallflowers were almost painful to remove from the wall even after a short period of time.
Makes me wonder if the people who had a problem were leaving mostly empty ones plugged in? We don't use them anymore due to the chemicals it sends into the air.
I never really thought about it until my dog began to chew his feet apart out of nowhere. He was raw and infected, so we took him to the vet, and she immediately asked DH if we had any plug in air fresheners.
She said candles are different in that you get a break from the scent because you don't burn them constantly. Anyways, we unplugged it and 2 weeks later he was healed up and normal! I'm a lot more cautious now about that kind of stuff.
Just wanted to offer another reason why possibly not to use them. Regarding the fire, my FILM is a firefighter, and he won't let MIL use any plug in scents.
I've used them for something like 6-7 years now (have probably 4-5 plugged in right now, actually, throughout the house) and have never had a problem with them. In fact, there's actually some sort of sensor in them that senses when they might be overheating and automatically “kills” the Wallflower to prevent fires.
As far as I know, once that happens, that WF is shot and will need to be replaced. I checked mine this morning before I left for work.
The part that was hot was the base, near where it plugged into the wall. I'm not sure of the technical name, but it was the part I'd grasp to remove it from the wall.
Just checked the one closest to me (it's plugged in near my feet at my desk) and the unit itself is slightly warm and the bulb is cool. Once we came back last September I plugged one in and noticed mine did get very hot, actually both of them did.
I make sure all small appliances are unplugged (toaster, coffee maker, etc) when we are done with them. I had a friend who left the toaster plugged in, and it started a fire.
“Sparks started flying out and fire, and she says had she been any closer it would’ve burned her as well, and her hand towel hangs right next to it.” They also contacted White and said they will be giving her a full refund on her Wallflower plugins as well as having an electrician check her outlet.
“Bath & Body Works needs to recall these and take them off store shelves before someone gets hurt, or they lose their house, which could’ve easily happened here,” White said. Claim: Glade PlugIns brand air fresheners have been proved a significant fire hazard.
Electrical Hazard My brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this last week. He said he has seen more home fires started with the plug in type room fresheners than anything else.
When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb.
The investigator said he personally wouldn’t have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. Origins: In early 2002, manufacturer SC Johnson invoked a voluntary recall of its Glade brand ‘Extra Outlet Scented Oil Air Fresheners’ (a plug-in air freshener which included its own outlet so that consumers wouldn’t have to give up an outlet space to use it) because they had found a loose connection inside the extra outlet that might pose a fire hazard.
Is there any evidence that the current Glade PlugIn air freshener poses a significant fire hazard, as alleged in the message quoted above? We haven’t found any studies or news reports demonstrating that plug-in air fresheners (Glade or other brands) pose a significantly higher fire hazard than other electrical devices.
Because SC Johnson is committed to selling safe products, the company thoroughly investigated these rumors. That fireman indicated that he has no evidence that SC Johnson products had caused any fire.
Since consumers are leery of trusting safety information put out by the same companies that sell the products in question, we contacted the Los Angeles Fire Department and spoke to arson investigators there about their experience with fires caused by plug-in air fresheners. Not only did none of them recall such a case from personal experience, but a search of their records for the last twenty years failed to turn up a single incidence of a major structure fire (i.e., one resulting in damage exceeding $25,000) caused by a plug-in air freshener.